Friday, November 14, 2008

Salmon Days Festival

Salmon Days is an annual festival in Issaquah, WA where they celebrate the return of the salmon. The event consistently draws a large crowd of people through its diverse selection of food booths, art/craft vendors, music and kiddie games. However, the main attraction is the salmon hence the name of the festival if you were wondering.

I continue to be amazed that salmon return to where they were born by miraculously swimming up the river in order to spawn. At the same time, I'm saddened by the fish that persistently try to leap a fake "ladder" that's been built to create a stronger downstream current. Kudos to the salmon that actually figure out that there's an easier route to their destination via the hatchery ladder just a few yards to the south.

Devin's favorite part of the event is the yummy kettlecorn. Mine is the booth vendor who sells beautiful blown glass. I've bought a few glass pumpkins from him that adorn our formal dining room table every fall. This year, Dylan had a chance to partake in the activities. I would assume that his favorite thing was either observing the salmon (which he calls "feesh") or the Italian hotdog that he shared equally with Devin.

Looking at the salmon struggling to jump the "ladder"

Hanging out with Auntie Chelsea before getting kettlecorn...

No comments: