Monday, August 31, 2009

Mia Emi's arrival

As early as 30 weeks, we knew that our little girl had her own idea for when and how she'd arrive. Here's the highlights of her dramatic entrance into the world.

August 27 & 28 -- PRACTICE & MORE PRACTICE

On Thursday, Dr. Lawler asked Devin and I to check into Overlake triage for monitoring. There weren't any changes since my doctor appt that morning, so we were discharged. Little did we know that we would replay it all over again the next day. Check in, get monitored, and head home with no baby. While 4 cm on Friday, contractions were only 6mins apart which they call "early labor" not "active labor". Neither is fun and IMO labor is labor.

Saturday, August 29 -- GO TIME & BIRTHDAY
3RD TIMES A CHARM! In order avoid being sent home for the the 3rd time, I followed triage's guidelines and waited until contractions were 3-4mins apart. By 3pm, the pain was so unbearable that we headed back to Overlake. With Devin being a groomsman in his cousin's wedding (which I insisted he still attend), Chelsea stayed at the house and drove me (her very irritable sister - sorry Chels!) to the hospital. Let the fun begin!

To our surprise, I was already dilated to 9cm! It became a race against time. We needed our little girl to remain patient a little longer while a team of nurses scrambled to get the IV in, blood drawn, meds running, and paperwork completed ALL before I could get the epidural. While the meds didn't kick in fast enough, labor went well. Dr. Lawler made it in even when he wasn't on call and we only pushed for 30mins. Less than two hours after being admitted, we welcomed our precious little girl, Mia Emi.

STATS
Date/Time: 8.29.09, 5:17pm
Weight: 6lbs 12 oz, 19 inches
Other: Loves her facials and hair being brushed (as we learned from her first bath); loves her beauty rest; is very patient with her big brother who thinks she's old enough to play with him, clap hands, etc.

We've been busy getting acquainted with Mia and helping Dylan adjust to his new sister. I'll try to post more photos this weekend.

No comments: