Friday, September 17, 2010

First day of school

This week, Dylan went from being my baby to a preschooler! I've been wanting to send him to preschool when he turned three and enrolled him at Newport Children's School. While we've had great experiences overall with many of the teachers at Kindercare, I didn't feel that the preschool program and curriculum at Kindercare was very good. Plus, he had been refusing to enter the Frogs classroom which Devin and I believe is because of his dislike for the lead teacher in that room. So, it was time for a move.

The night before his first day, Dylan woke up at 5am. I think that it was first day jitters. However, he was excited that morning and waited patiently at the bottom of our stairs until it was time to go to school. Not a tear was shed at drop off. When I picked him up, he couldn't hold back telling me about his first day. I was and continue to be amazed by what he's learning and the activities that they do in class. Calendar, weather, helping hands assignments, mapping/charting, etc. I'm extremely pleased so far and Dylan seems to be very happy.

There is one downside. Mia is on a 6 child-deep waiting list which means that we have to do two different drop offs. It's easily added 30 minutes to our a.m. and p.m. routines which means that Devin and I have to either leave much earlier from the home and work. Hoping that we can get through the wait list quicker than the 4-6 month estimate they provided.

No comments: